Sunday 17 July 2011

Live in the moment.....easier said than done?....

Spent my weekend making sure all is in order for my parents when they arrive later today. See, they are coming for my sister’s graduation. Difficult guests they are, every single thing as got to be on point! Or you will never hear the end of it and that right there will be the beginning of a miserable week. So we stressed and fussed over every single detail this weekend, my sister and I.  We occasionally had small misunderstandings as the stress gave way to multitudes of strain on us but we somehow managed to overcome all that. On top of all that, I had to work on calculations for a car jack design my group Is developing, endless equations to prove that the bloody model will work. I won’t even lie, I caved in half way through.


Anyway, we had planned to go to Manchester on Saturday so that we could check out the terminal and master the routes since we had never been there. I made this plan Tuesday last week and my mate was more than excited to see me, literally couldn’t wait. Then he received that phone call……  By Thursday my sister and I had decided we are not going to Manchy since we had too much to do and had figured out an alternative way to do all we needed to do there. ‘How am I ever goin’ to break my mates heart and tell him I am not coming’?’,  I wondered in silence. Finally grabbed the guts to do it on Friday (I know, too late right?) but no one picked the line…received a text later saying my girl had cardiac arrest last night, so sorry I can’t make it… I immediately called to offer some form of comfort and support.  It was so sad; she slipped in and out of coma all through the weekend. I was however shocked at the fact that a young lady in her twenties could have cardiac arrest  but before I could form the right words in my mind he said, in the most heart-breaking tone, ‘Her sister died at fifteen because of the same thing, she is lucky to have gotten here’

I sat there, thinking about all the planning I had been so busy doing, forgetting to live and appreciate every minute as it came to me. I also thought about the emotions he felt for his girlfriend, such strong emotions. Had me thinking….. Anyway, I know it’s hard as hell to live in the moment and maybe we all have some level of ungratefulness that lets us easily overlook the small things in our days that bring us happiness but surely we can try our best when ever we can. I took a minute to thank God for all that I had after that phone call and let go of all the stuff I was stressing about. Decided that I would just live in that moment, sure I took care of what had to be done that day but I never stressed about the next day until it came. I don't know how long i can do this but i am sure going to try. Baby steps. ‘May the best of your today, be the worst  of your tomorrow. And we ain’t even thinking that far’ Sean Carter.

2 comments:

  1. Tomorrow's not promised today... In some aspects, long term planning is useful. But for the most part, I concur that one needs to get the most out of their life before they eventually bite the dust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you see things this way. Life's too short.

    ReplyDelete