Tuesday 14 June 2011

Music of my soul.

I never write anything here that speaks directly about me so let me share one small but significant thing about me. Music is a huge part of me. I listen to music when I get up in the morning, in the shower, on my way to class or work, while I do maths, while I do a very demanding task, when I am just chilling and even in bed before I go to sleep. I listen to music literally 80% of my time. Different playlists for different times and to set different moods.

I am a lover of music so if I were to list the genres I love I would probably end up listing all of them. Music is a beautiful art that speaks to my soul, each genre playing its role at different times and in different aspects of my life. However, if I were to list my top genres I would tell you straight up that Hip-hop is number one. Eminem is without a doubt my favourite rap artist, mostly because I can relate to most of his music. Yes, even the tracks where is goin’ off at chicks. I totally get where he comes from with his music even though he is so misunderstood by most. This however doesn’t stop me from listening to other rap artists. I love Nas, Kanye and so many others but I want to talk about artists like Lil Wayne. I know Mcz that won’t hear of him but I honestly appreciate his music. Lil Wayne, Soulja boy etc all those rap artists everyone feels the need to frown upon. I actually enjoy that music. Like I said music is an art, each character playing its important role and presenting its unique skill. Sure, lil wayne may not be the best lyricist in the world but he produces rap some relate to, his chilla playful stupid lyrics are sometimes what people want to listen to. I know so many people that frown on him that have quoted him more than once. Anyway to cut the long story short I think every rap artist bring something different to the table and I appreciate it. Well not all, some are just lost but that’s a whole other story.

So getting back to that list, I have to say rock music comes in second with Reggae following closely at number three. Rock music always helps me think and reflect always painting all sorts of journeys in my mind. Well, there are different types of rock and I must say I appreciate all of them but my alliances lie mostly with the more subtle rock. Blink 182, the Cranberries, Linkin Park, Cyndi Lauper, Aerosmith, Coldplay, The Verve's Bitter sweet symphony and Evanescence, some of the artists whose albums I have on repeat whenever I am having my moments of clarity. With reggae Bob Marley #legend comes first of course but Damian follows closely and distant relatives is a personal favorite. I actually have too many posters of Bob up in my room one would think I am obsessed with his music but its really just relevant at certain times and points in my life.Then the rest follows, classical music  with Symphony no9 by Ludwig van Beethoven, Caribbean blue by Enya and Adiemus by Karl Jenkins toping the charts, Dancehall with Shaggy and Movado whose voices just do things to me, not forgetting Hilsong and Lecrae with gospel, I could go on and  on really. I love music.

Let me just conclude with music from my home. Music back home has come such a long way and I am so proud and happy for everyone that has made that possible. A lot of that music features in the numerous playlists I listed above but I felt it deserves a paragraph of its own. As expected my personal favourites lie mostly in the hiphop genre but let me make a comprehensive list. Strating with the ladies of course Evon Love Effude, Touched me not forgetting that killer hook on Klarity Anthem , Mys Natty crash n burn, Lilian kawa, Keko Alwoo and moving on to the men Navio, Mith, Enygma, PL@y, Lyrikal Proof, Patrobas et al. This list also seems too endless, making me even more proud of the growth in the industry. Not forgetting our Eastafrican family Madtraxx, Nonini and the list goes on and on. I fear i cannot round up all my music in one blog so let me wrap it up like a gift and hit post.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment